COVID-19 Pregnancy & Parenting Assistance Program
With all the stay-at-home and shelter-in-place orders in effect to try to slow the spread of COVID-19, many families are facing new and unexpected challenges. With businesses, schools, daycares, pregnancies, and entire industries affected, even resources that are usually reliable have become limited or unavailable, adding unexpected and overwhelming pressures to mothers of young children during pregnancy and early childhood.
The COVID-19 Pregnancy & Parenting Assistance Program—also called our Hero Fund—is a new program started by the Southwest Coalition for Life in partnership with local pregnancy help centers to assist women in early motherhood—as well as fathers and legal guardians—who are facing significant financial stress due to COVID-19. A baby is never a crisis, but economic concerns can be. This is a way to unite the larger Borderland community to HELP MOMS BE HEROES during this challenging time.
The Hero Fund is to benefit parents or guardians of children up to 36 months of age (including pregnant mothers) who are facing financial stress specifically because of COVID-19, such as job displacement, furlough, inability to work due to caring for children who must now stay home, etc. All families are local to the Borderland region of El Paso, Las Cruces, and surrounding communities.
Applicants may apply to qualify once every 30 days for up to $500 towards one of the following: rent, utilities, car payment, phone bill, groceries, or gasoline.
Applications must include attached verification of need and be approved through a consultation by an Authorized CoPPA Partner in our Her Care Connection network. Approved needs will either be (1) paid from Fund Reserves directly to the billing agency or given a gas/grocery gift card as funds are available, or (2) if direct funds are not available, the need may be listed on a local “crowdfunding” page in such a way so members of the community can donate toward the needs of their choice.
The COVID-19 Pregnancy & Parenting Assistance Fund is currently accepting applications from those who meet these criteria:
(1) Experiencing financial stress as a direct result of the COVID-19 school and business closures, AND
(2) Have at least one child 36 months (3 years) of age or younger (this includes pregnant women), AND
(3) Live within a 20 mile vicinity of El Paso, TX or Las Cruces, NM.
(1) You will need to complete this online Hero Fund Application Form.
(2) You will be asked to upload documentation from an employer or school/daycare stating the closure or reduction of hours that affects you.
(3) You will also need to upload a verification of age for any dependents 3 years old and under. This can be a birth certificate, letter from school or doctor, or any official documentation containing the child’s date of birth. Pregnant women will need to supply verification of pregnancy. This can be a letter from a doctor or clinic, an ultrasound scan with a date stamp, etc.
(4) You will also need to upload a copy of the bill for which you are requesting financial assistance. The bill should be in the name of the applicant and contain any needed information including account and amount.
(5) You will need to complete a 15 minute phone consultation with one of our Authorized Hero Fund Partners who will approve the application.
(1) Guiding Star (Central El Paso): 915-544-9600
(2) Pregnancy and Fatherhood Solutions (East/Northeast El Paso): 915-249-1344
(3) Westside Pregnancy Center (West El Paso): 915-703-3001
(4) Care Net Pregnancy Center of Las Cruces: 575-526-6242
(5) Turning Point of Las Cruces: 575-652-2802
You may apply for one area of assistance every 30 days. Approval one month does not automatically guarantee approval for subsequent months.
The Hero Fund is designed to help with rent, utilities, car payments, phone bills, gasoline expense, and groceries. Other requests will be evaluated on an individual case-by-case basis.
Each application may request assistance on one qualified need every 30 days:
(1) A rent, utility, or qualifying bill up to the amount of $500, OR
(2) Gas assistance up to the amount of $50 per application, OR
(3) Grocery assistance to be awarded based on the number of dependents in your household up to the amount of $200 per application.
The Hero Fund is currently accepting applications from women residing in the Borderland area within 20 miles of either El Paso, TX or Las Cruces, NM.
The Hero Fund is made possible entirely by generous donations of supporters of the Southwest Coalition for Life who are pro-life, pro-woman, and pro-love. Assistance is granted based on eligibility and availability of resources.
Applications with proper attachments will first be verified for eligibility. Qualifying applicants will be contacted and scheduled for a phone consultation with a partnering Hero Fund counselor.
No. Bills will be paid directly by the Hero Fund, as available. Gasoline assistance will be awarded in the form of a gasoline gift card. Grocery assistance may be awarded in the form of a gift card or a pre-ordered grocery store pick up.